Henry Lewis Mencken wrote:
- I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
- I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
- And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant.
Ayn Rand believed:
- You must choose your values and actions by reason;
- Every individual has a right to live for his or her own sake, neither sacrificing self to others nor others to self; and
- No one has the right to seek values from others by physical force, or impose ideas on others by physical force.
Is this complicated? Unclear? Does any of this sound like bomb-throwing anarchism? Does it logically lead to cartel mercantilism? When was the last time you saw a Republican National Socialist or a People’s Democratic Republic politician identify and criticize these utterances? When was the last time you heard a better and more cogent position statement?